Monday, June 10, 2013

Math Monday: Calulating Chores

Ok so I'm not "mean mommy"  and I love my iPhone more than anyone but to avoid being stuck to a screen all summer we are UNPLUGGING and earning screen time - yep me too!  Since I'm always up with the chickens (literally I'm the one who lets them out of their coop each morning) I know I can bank on the time earned for the morning feeding cycle. :0) To simplify the chores and keep it all fair we came up with this plan.  

For our first Math Monday the kids calculated what chores they wanted to complete in order to earn screen time or chore money!

Dollar Store Shopping List:  
  • Chore List  (see Printables Tab above to download)
  • Plastic Sheet Protectors
  • Dry Erase Marker
  • Plastic Cups
  • Cup Labels (see printable)
  • Colorful Drinking Straws
  • Self Stick Magnets (optional)
  1. The kids came up with a list of chores that need to be/can be done around the house (ahhh music to my ears)!  
  2. We compiled the list and assigned "mintues" to each chore. Feel free to download and edit our list from the Printables Tab.
  3. Print and Laminate chore chart (print out and pop it in a plastic sheet protector) so we can use a dry erase marker each day to show what we have completed. 
  4. Take one plastic cup and fill it with straws.  Each straw = 5 min earned.  Since we will be erasing the chore board each day but not necessarily using the time we came up with this plan to keep track of our time earned. 
  5. Label 3 cups per kid:  Time Earned,  Time Redeemed, and Cash Out
  6. Cash Out - if you accrue 60 minutes you may cash it in for $2 instead of screen time
  7. Stick a magnet to the back of each cup and place on fridge or door to garage (yup magnetic) to organize.

Pictures of our set coming soon - although even before I finish this post, Connor has emptied the recycling bin! Yahoooo! 

No time for this now?  Use the Pin It button and pin to your Pinterest Board! 



No comments:

Post a Comment