Monday, July 1, 2013

What's Cookin' : Family Style Antipasto

When I was a little girl I remember hot NY summers with no air conditionion and the constant purr of box fans circulating hot air around the house.  My Italian grandparents lived with us in an apartment we built onto the house.  Having FAMILY around was a part of everyday life. On those hot summer nights when turning on the stove or oven was a ridiculous thought, Grandma would head out the garden and pick fresh green beans, basil, cherry tomatoes, cukes, and anything else she felt would make a great salad for supper.  Then with whatever cold meats and cheeses she had in the fridge, she'd toss it all together in olive oil, vinegar, and her magic wand of spices.


This week my Lella (her real name is Marietta but I couldn't say that as a kid and called her Lella and the name stuck) came down to VA for a visit. She is my mom's older sister and enjoyed those same very special summer salads her mother used to make.  After a hot week in an unseasonably cool summer, we decided to make an antipasto for dinner and Lella showed me how to make the dressing!

This brought me back to those simple summers of my youth when dinner meant running out to the garden and spending time as a FAMILY making an then eating meal.  It is all to often that we get caught up in all the craziness of life and miss out on those special moments.

Having Lella here this week helped remind me to always make time to slow down and enjoy what is really important.  I have taken my Italian heritage and upbringing for ganted. I'll honeslty admit I thought everyone "did it that way" and that when I grew up life would be the same.  Grrr... mommy fail :/  I don't think grabbing concession stand food at the 5th straight Little League game constitutes as a meal, but that is often how we roll.

Nonetheles this past week hearing the kids giggle playing cards (yes cards, not their iPods or laptop) until it was late begging for just a few more minutes was priceless!  Every now and then you need a healthy dose of FAMILY to keep you grounded and focused on creating the same opportunites for memories for your own kids.  End result...mommy FAMILY win!


Quick Antipasto Recipe
1 head of Romain Lettuce - chopped
1 can of pitted black olives
1/2 jar of roasted red peppers
1 jar of Italian Mix Giardiniera
1/4 lb of provolone cheese
1/4 lb of deli pepperoni

Dressing:
3 parts olive oil
1 part cider vinegar
seasoning:  basil, oregano, parsely, garlic, salt, pepper,
(don't ask how much we never measure just toss it all in) 



No comments:

Post a Comment