Sunday, July 7, 2013

Simplifying Spaces - Magnetic Chalk Wall

Mommy Bucket List Project #2 - Create a Magnetic Chalk Wall in the Kitchen.

A few years ago I made wine cork board to hang in the kitchen as decor but also a place to hang the kids' artwork and school project.  We have a stainless steel fridge and guess what...it isn't magnetic! The super cute wine cork board worked great but now the corks keep falling off so I decide to try this out.  The jury is still out on whether or not it was a great idea.  It looks great but isn't as functional as I had hoped.  

Materials Needed:
  • Magnetic Primer
  • Latex Chalkboard Paint
  • Painter's Tape
  • DROP CLOTHS
  • 2 Roller sponges for smooth surfaces
  • Paint pan
  • Long Sleeved Shirt to wear while applying the primer ( I was covered in black flecks from this step and had to use gasoline to get it off of my skin)

Tips and Lessons Learned:

Magnetic Primer  - The magnetic primer is messy.  When you roll it on your space it drops black flecks everywhere.  Be sure to have surrounding surfaces covered. The can says to do two to three coats, preferably three thin than two thick.  After two coats, I tried one of the Leap Frog Fridge Farm (heavy) magnets and when it stuck easily I figured I was good to go.  NOPE!  After applying the top coat of Latex Chalkboard Paint as it suggests on the package the same magnet wouldn't stick. :/  Grr I painted to the floor so the baby could play with this toy in this space now it won't hold.  

Chalk Board Paint - Easy and wonderful!  Paints the same as any other latex paint which means easy clean up too.  With plenty left over I plan on using this for other spaces and/or projects.

Magnets:  It seems that decorative magnets have trouble sticking because they are heavy.  I have had success with large flat (sheet like) magnets like the kind you'd stick to your car.  We have a bundle of Upward Sports magnets that I'm using inside of a plastic presentation sleeve then sliding the paper in that to display.  Not the ease of use I was hoping for but it is working for now.  :)

Favorite Part:  The kids created a chore chart for summer. See blog post here.  We put the charts in plastic sleeves so that we could use dry erase markers to check off completed chores.  Yay with a magnet inside the sleeve the chart sticks to the wall!  AND I found a 3 pack of  Magnetic Dry Erase Markers at Dollar Tree that stick to the wall too!  

Final Verdict - I would have done a smaller space and laid on the primer super thick.  I still don't have a vertical space for her Fridge Farm and Letter Factory (we are using a cookie sheet instead) but I do like the way it look and the kids seem to love it!  For the most part this is a mommy win and it does Simplify the Space!  

Magnetic Chalk Wall



No comments:

Post a Comment